What could be more perfect than a romantic trip in a nostalgic railcar ? This one-of-a-kind, 120-year-old train with vintage wooden seats, features conductors in historic uniforms as it ascends 4.3 miles in 52 minutes to Schynige Platte. It all starts in Wilderswil, just a four-minute train ride from Interlaken Ost train station, where you board this unique cogwheel train. Once in Schynige Platte, you’ll enjoy views of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura. This natural wonderland is a popular starting point for all kinds of hikes. It’s also the site of the only Botanical Alpine Garden in Switzerland, home to around 600 species of Alpine plants. Don’t forget to stop by the mountain’s hotel and welcoming restaurant offering a spacious terrace. Incredibly, those with a Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Travel Pass Flex will find they’re entitled to free travel on this excursion. Schynige Platte. It’s not just a wonderful trip, it’s a trip back in time.
Exclusive limited-time Fall offer : use promo code 29FALL18 to get $60 off bookings of $760 or more, or 30FALL18 to get $95 off bookings of $1020 or more. Book by October 24, 2018. Condtions apply.
Schynige Platte : Nostalgic Rail to Timeless Beauty.
Here’s what’s included :
- Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schnyige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
- The 52 minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found :
- The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
- Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
- Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
- Easy circular hiking trails.
- Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
- Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
- Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
- Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
- All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
- Children under 6 are free.
- Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note : these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
- Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
- Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
- Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
- Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
- Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. Can a Rail Pass be bought in Europe ?
A. Yes some Rail Passes can be bought in Europe, but they will be at a higher cost. However we recommend to buy your pass before your arrival in Europe for better planning and to benefit from a lower fare.
Q. Is it possible to transfer a Rail Pass to another person’s name ?
A. No. Rail Passes are non-transferable. They contain the name of the traveller and cannot be reprinted. However holders of a Rail Pass can reschedule his trip as a Rail Pass is valid up to 6 months from the date of purchase.
Q. Where can I find information regarding train timetables ?
A. Information on European trains schedule can be found easily and rapidly in the "start searching train tickets" menu.
Q. How do I request an exchange through the Rail Protection Plan™ ?
A. You can use one of the many self service terminals at the train station in France or the UK or the USA, depending on the product that you have chosen.
Q. Is there a check-in before the departure of an TGV train ?
A. No. There is no check-in before departure. However rail officials will control your ticket during the journey. Make sure you have all your valid travel documents with you while on board a TGV. Please note that you need to board the TGV, at the lastest, 2 minutes before departure. Access is not guaranteed after this time.
Q. Which Rail Pass is perfect for me ?
A. The most adapted Rail Pass for you depends mostly on the number of days and the countries you want to travel. You click on the "search passes" menu for guidance. TrainTicket.com will help you find the best Rail Pass to meet you requirements.
Q. Does the Eurail Select Pass offer any special of discounted fares ?
A. Yes, you can obtain a discount for ferry crossings. Holders of an Eurail Select Pass also benefit from great offers to visit museums and monuments.
Q. Which European cities are served by the TGV Lyria trains ?
A. TGV Lyria connects many major cities of France and Switzerland. Lyria offers high speed service between Paris and Dijon to the Swiss cities of Geneva, Lausanne, Basel, Neuchatel, Bern, and Zurich. From Geneva, Lyria journeys to Lyon, Avignon, Aix en Provence, and Marseille.
Q. Are Family Passes available ?
- Yes. Some passes offer discount for families.
- Swiss Passes offer a Swiss family card which offers free travel for children (aged from 6 to 15 years old) when they are travelling with a parent.
- In Great Britain, the BritRail Pass which offers free travel for children (aged 5 to 15 years old) when they are travelling with a full fare adult or a Senior Pass holder. The Great Britain Heritage Family Pass is also available for 2 adults who are travelling with up to 3 children.
- Families can benefit from saver options which are offered by many passes. Children aged 4 to 11 travel at half of the adult fare when they are on the Family Pass.
Q. What are the classes of service which are offered on the Lyria train ?
A. Two classes of service are offered on board the TGV – First class and Second class. In First class, passengers have large seats, power sockets for portable devices and access to the bar buffet. If you are travelling in second class, you can also have access to a vast selection of meals and beverages.