Ever wanted to shout from a 7,000-foot mountaintop? Then travel on this Mt. Pilatus excursion tour in Switzerland. Breathtaking views notwithstanding, you also might need to catch your breath after riding on the world’s steepest cogwheel railway. Operating from May to November, this thrilling rail ride starts at the mountain’s base in Alpnachstad and runs over uniquely constructed tracks to the mountain’s summit—a sweeping panoramic delight of over 70 peaks and five lakes. (Traveling to Switzerland in the winter months? Travel to the top of Mt. Pilatus via gondolas and aerial cableways. And the sight-delights continue at hotels and restaurants where the terrace views are always something to shout about. Done with the sightseeing and want to engage in some site doing? Then get climbing at the biggest suspension rope park in Central Switzerland. Or try some hiking or toboggan sledging.
Experience the beauty of Pilatus on the world’s steepest cogwheel railway
- Round trip travel to Mount Pilatus from Alpnachstad by cogwheel railway or from Kriens by panorama gondola and aerial cableway
- Magnificent views from 7,000 feet/2,132 meters above sea level
- Issued as an exchange voucher
- Enjoy Swiss culinary delights and stunning views in various restaurants on the mountaintop
- Children under 6 travel free
- Discount offered with Swiss Travel Pass
Includes round-trip travel from Alpnachstad or Kriens in Central Switzerland to the Pilatus Summit.
• Discounted fares are only valid with a Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Passes that include Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
• All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
• Children under 6 are free.
• Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note: these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
• Tickets and the Swiss Transfer ticket are not valid for rail pass discounts.
• Exchange voucher for actual ticket within 6 month of date of issue with cashier at the Mount Pilatus Station in Alpnachstad or Kriens.
• Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
• Prices are subject to change.
• Cogwheel railway operates from early/mid- May to Nov, 2017.
• Gondola and aerial cableway service is closed for maintenance from Oct 23 - Nov 10, 2017.
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. How do I connect between train stations in the same city?
A. There is often an easy connection by public transportation between train stations within the same city or town.
Q. Is there onboard medical help in case of emergency?
A. Currently most trains do not carry emergency medical equipment. In case of a medical emergency, conductors on board will radio ahead to the next stop so that help will be ready and waiting.
Q. Do you offer student, family and/or senior discounts?
A. Yes. Rail Europe offers a wide range of train tickets and rail passes that provide discounts to children, youths, seniors or groups of people that travel together.
Discounted rates vary depending on the type of train ticket or rail pass you are purchasing, and are not always offered.
We do our best to provide you with the cheapest fares for your traveling party and get you the discounts you’re eligible for. This is why it’s important to accurately indicate the composition of your traveling party when requesting fares and schedules or rail pass prices from our website. You may also have to enter the age of certain travellers, so we can determine whether they’re eligible for certain age-related discounts.
Q. If my travel party won’t fill the entire compartment, can we buy it out to travel by ourselves?
A. We’re only able to sell train tickets/reservations for beds that will be filled by travellers. If you purchase “extra” beds in a compartment to occupy the space, the conductor can fill empty beds if space is needed, even if the whole compartment has been purchased. No refund is given if a conductor fills an “extra” bed.
Q. Are there restrooms on the train?
A. Yes! Restrooms can be found on all trains in Europe. Restrooms are easily accessible on all trains and are frequently marked with the letters WC (Water Closet). They’re usually found at the front or back of each train car and typically include a sink, toilet, and locking door.
Q. Who should I contact to book travel for a group of 10 or more people?
A. For groups of 10 or more traveling together please fill out our Group Department form for assistance. If you know what you’re looking for, you can also request a quote online from our Group Department.
Q. If I bought my rail pass from another company, can I still book my seat reservations through Rail Europe?
A. Yes. You can book your reservation with Rail Europe regardless of where you purchased your rail pass.
Q. How can I contact Rail Europe prior to my departure to Europe?
A. Please send us a message from our Contact Us page and we will respond to you via email within 24 to 48 hours.
Q. Will I be sharing my sleeping compartment with strangers?
A. If you book a reservation for a bed in a compartment that can accommodate more people than are in your traveling party, yes, additional people may be in the compartment. It’s also important to note that couchette accommodations are usually not gender specific.
Q. Can a rail pass be issued as an e ticket or e pass?
A. At this time, most rail passes are printed as a paper document and must be shipped to you prior to your departure to Europe. If a rail pass is offered as an e-pass this option will be offered at the time of booking. For rail passes offered as e-passes, you will need to print it out on paper prior to arriving at the train station.