You leave from Interlaken, Grindelwald or Wengen, in Switzerland, and start by taking a unique, moderncogwheel railway to Kleine Scheidegg, 6762 feet up. From there, the Jungfrau railway climbs to the Eiger Glacier station, well known for its mountain restaurant and polar dog kennels. Then continue through the Eiger tunnel, only stopping to enjoy spectacular vistas on the way to the highest railway station in Europe. The Jungfraujoch, over 11,000 feet up, and called the Top of Europe. Switzerland’s most breathtaking scenery awaits. View a 13.6 mile ice stream, an Ice Palace, and views that will melt your heart. What do you call this once in a lifetime railway experience in Switzerland? The Jungfraujoch-Top of Europe from Rail Europe, just part of their offerings for Switzerland. But then, it only makes sense. Rail Europe always leaves you feeling on top of the world, no matter where you are.
Jungfraujoch Top of Europe
Experience the beauty of the Jungfraujoch at Europe’s highest railway station
- Round trip travel to Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe from Interlaken, Grindelwald or Wengen
- Attractions at the top include the Great Aletsch Glacier, Ice Palace, Ice Gateway, Sphinx observation terrace, Plateau with hiking in the eternal snow, "Top of Europe" Glacier Restaurant, and more
- First travel to Kleine Scheidegg, at the foot of the notorious Eiger North Wall. Continue on the Jungfrau Railway to the Eiger Glacier Station, well known for its mountain restaurant
- Adventure follows through the Eiger tunnel to the Eigerwand and Eismeer stations
- Issued as a paper document
- Children under 6 travel free sharing adult passenger’s seat
- Discount offered with Swiss Travel Pass
Here’s what’s included:
- Round trip travel to the Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe from Interlaken, Grindelwald or Wengen.
- Scenic trip to Eiger Glacier Station and through the Eiger tunnel to the Eigerwand and Eismeer stations.
- Sightseeing at the Great Aletsch Glacier, Ice Palace, Ice Gateway, Sphinx observation terrace, high alpine research exhibitions and more.
- Discounted rates are only valid with a rail pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of rail pass you have when selecting your tickets.
- All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
- Children under 6 are free.
- Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note: these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
- Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
- Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
- Prices are subject to change.
- Seat Reservations between Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch are recommended for travel between (May and October) and are an additional fee. Reservations can be made at the following Jungfraujoch Rail Stations: Interlaken Ost, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Grindelwald-Grund, Murren and Wengen.
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. I have a train ticket for a train that didn’t run or was delayed due to a strike. What now?
A. If your train doesn’t travel due to a delay or strike, please have your train ticket stamped “Not Used due to Strike” by a railway official at the origin station and return it to our Customer Relations department within 30-days from the train departure date.
For immediate help, a railway official should be able to provide you with details on alternate accommodations. Simply visit the ticket window.
Important: If a train is canceled by the railroads due to a strike, and alternate transportation has not been offered or if you decline the alternate transportation, then a railway official at the origin station must cancel your seat and they must stamp the back of your ticket/reservation “Not Used Due to strike” before the original train departure time.
Our partners at the European Railroads will not allow us to process a refund unless this step has been taken.
Q. Are there facilities on board for disabled travellers?
A. Special amenities for disabled travellers are offered on trains and at many train stations, and are clearly indicated with pictograms (for telephones, toilets, elevators, etc.).
Special equipment is also available for use by disabled travellers but must be reserved locally in advance. You can do this while you’re in Europe by inquiring at the train station or through your hotel concierge.
Be sure to specify if you need personal assistance (whether with a wheelchair, boarding, etc.).
Q. Can I use my rail pass on any train within its area of coverage?
A. In general, yes, but there are some exceptions and a few rules to keep in mind.
First, be mindful that some trains (such as high speed, scenic, and night trains) require rail pass holders to purchase reservations at an additional cost.
For international train journeys, be sure that your rail pass covers the country of departure, country of arrival, and any countries through which your train will travel.
Lastly, some private rail lines in certain countries don’t offer reservations for rail pass holders and don’t accept rail passes. In these cases, you can purchase a train ticket locally for the desired journey.
Q. How do I travel with a print at the station e-ticket?
A. All you need to do is print your actual train ticket at the station using a self-service kiosk prior to boarding the train. You can do this on the day of your travel, or anytime prior – but you can only do this at a train station.
The actual steps to print your e-ticket vary slightly from one country to another, but the general approach is the same: proceed to the self-service kiosk, enter your e-ticket confirmation code (also known as PNR) which is a letter code (or in the UK, 8 character alphanumeric code) that is unique to your trip, and follow the simple on-screen instructions.
Q. Can I book a rail pass and a seat reservation at the same time?
A. Absolutely, and we encourage it. Once you’ve added the pass you want to your booking, you will be prompted to make seat reservations for trains you wish to travel on. Alternatively, you can visit the homepage and search schedules, just be sure to check the "I have a rail pass" box.
We always recommend buying your reservations before you depart for Europe because high speed and night trains often have a limited number of seats set aside for rail pass holders, and these seats tend to sell out. So the earlier you secure your reservation, the better.
Q. Can I print my rail pass at the station?
A. At this time, most rail passes are printed as a paper document and must be shipped to you prior to your departure to Europe. If a rail pass is offered as an e-pass this option will be offered at the time of booking. For rail passes offered as e-passes, you will need to print it out on paper prior to arriving at the train station..
Q. Can I customize my group trip (meals on board, train station transfers)?
A. We love groups, and we do everything we can to make the experience as pleasurable as possible. We offer onboard catering, motor coach transfers to and from the train station, as well as luggage handling at select stations. For more information fill out our Group Quote form and a dedicated group consultant will respond to your request.
Q. Can I board the train if I forgot my rail pass but have my seat reservation?
A. While you can board the train, the conductor will make you purchase a full fare ticket on-board, and you may be fined. It’s best to keep your rail pass in a safe place with all of your travel documents to avoid this situation!
Q. How are sleeping compartments kept secure?
A. Overnight trains have conductors on duty throughout the duration of the train ride. In addition, sleeping compartments have locks on the doors that you control.
Q. Can I book group fares online?
A. Due to the nature of group inventory, group fares are not available online. To receive a quote from one of our dedicated group consultants, please fill out the quick and easy Group Quote form and an agent from our group department will contact you within 48-72 hours.