TicketPlan Cancellation Protection — Rail Europe
If you need to cancel a booking please visit ticketplangroup.com/raileurope and either complete an online reimbursement application form or download the reimbursement application form and return it to TicketPlan Cancellation Protection, c/o TicketPlan, Leigh House, Broadway West, Leigh-On-Sea, Essex, SS9 2DD as soon as reasonably possible and no later than 14 days as an absolute maximum after becoming aware of circumstances that may lead you to request a reimbursement payment.
Alternatively write to TicketPlan Cancellation Protection, c/o TicketPlan, Leigh House, Broadway West, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, SS9 2DD to request a reimbursement application form.
Your Cancellation Protection will provide you with reimbursement in relation to bookings as set out under the "What you will receive a reimbursement for" section below. Cancellation Protection is priced per booking that is purchased from us.
The following words and phrases have the meaning shown below wherever they appear in bold in this document whether expressed in the singular or plural.
- Accident — A bodily injury confirmed by a doctor that prevents a member of the travelling party from travelling on a booked journey.
- Administrator — TicketPlan Limited of Leigh House, Broadway West, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex SS9 2DD UK, who administer Cancellation Protection on our behalf.
- Booking/Booked journey — The pre-planned and pre-booked non-refundable ticket(s) purchased from us by you and for which Cancellation Protection has been purchased by you.
- Doctor — A qualified medical practitioner registered with a recognised professional body. A doctor cannot be a member of the travelling party or a member of the travelling party’s immediate family.
- Emergency Services — The Police, Fire or other Emergency Service.
- Illness — A physical or mental condition, confirmed by a doctor that prevents a member of the travelling party from travelling on the booked journey.
- Immediate family — The husband, wife, partner, civil partner, parent, child, brother or sister of a member of the travelling party.
- Normal Pregnancy — Symptoms which normally accompany pregnancy (including multiple pregnancy) and which are generally of a minor and/or temporary nature (e.g. morning sickness, fatigue etc.) which do not represent a medical hazard to mother or baby.
- Pre-existing medical condition — Any disease, illness or injury (whether diagnosed or not) existing at or before the date of booking and for which medical advice or treatment has been sought in the 12 months preceding the date of booking.
- Ticket — A non-refundable ticket that was purchased by you from us where Cancellation Protection has been purchased at the same time as purchasing the ticket(s). A ticket can be a physical ticket,a PDF, if an E-ticket or a screen grab of the confirmation email for a mobile ticket, paperless ticket or uncollected collect-at-station/departure point ticket. Alternatively, a print out or screen grab from the "Your Trips" section of Rail Europe detailing the booked journey.
- Reimbursement — Any payments for non-refundable order items within your booking that the administrator (on our behalf) is obliged to pay to you under this Cancellation Protection.
- Travelling Party — You or a person or number of people on whose behalf you have made a booking.
- We/us/our — Rail Europe with whom you made the booking.
- You/Your/Yourself — A person who has made a booking with us.
What you will receive reimbursement for
A) Where a reimbursement application form is completed in accordance with this document, the Administrator (on our behalf) shall provide a reimbursement to you, in the event that you or a member of the travelling party are unable to travel on the booked journey due to:
- Death, injury, or illness happening to you, any member(s) of the travelling party or a member of your or the travelling party's immediate family.
- Jury service during the booked journey which you or a member of the travelling party were unaware of at the time of booking.
- Burglary or fire at your or a member of the travelling party's residence in the 48 hours immediately before the booked journey requiring attendance of the Emergency services.
- You or a member of the travelling party being summoned to appear at court proceedings as a witness which you or a member of the travelling party were unaware of at the time of the booking.
- You or a member of the travelling party being a member of the armed forces and being posted abroad and/or having leave withdrawn which you were unaware of at the time of the booking.
- The non-running of one or more legs of the booked journey necessitating the cancellation of the entire booked journey or remaining parts or legs of the booked journey. Please note that any legs of the booked journey that do not run are specifically excluded from the scope of Cancellation Protection as a reimbursement may be available from the relevant transport operating company.
Cancellation Protection only applies to non-refundable tickets purchased via raileurope.com or via Rail Europe mobile applications. All other ticket types are excluded from the scope of Cancellation Protection.
B) Where a member of the travelling party chooses to exchange their ticket with us for another time/date rather than obtain reimbursement under the TicketPlan Cancellation Protection, the TicketPlan Cancellation Protection will transfer to the re-booked ticket (of a similar type) without any further charge to you.
What you will not receive reimbursement for
If a member of the travelling party is unable to travel on the booked journey, the other members of the travelling party must continue with the booked journey unless you can prove that the booked journey is dependent upon that particular member of the travelling party travelling on the booked journey, for example, where a group ticket would not be valid without that particular member of the travelling party.
A reimbursement will not be provided where:
- An illness or the death of a member of the travelling party or a member of the travelling party's immediate family is caused by or is as a result of a pre-existing medical condition.
- The symptoms that accompany a normal pregnancy are the sole reason a member of the travelling party cannot travel on a booked journey and/or where the booked journey is within 8 weeks of the estimated date of delivery.
- A member of the travelling party cannot return any unused tickets or vouchers forming part of the booking, save where you have not printed collect-at-station/departure point tickets from a ticket machine at the station/departure point prior to departure.
- Any part or leg of the booked journey that is cancelled, abandoned, delayed or re-routed by a transport operating company, as a reimbursement may be available from the relevant transport operating company.
A member of the travelling party:
- Fails to submit a completed reimbursement application form within 14 days of becoming aware of circumstances leading to a request for reimbursement.
- Decides not to travel on the booked journey for reasons other than those covered by this Cancellation Protection.
- Is prevented from travelling on the booked journey due to transport disruption that was public knowledge at the time of booking.
- Carries out a criminal act which prevents a member of the travelling party travelling on the booked journey.
- Is prevented from travelling on the booked journey due to an outbreak of a contagious disease and the Government or any agency acting on behalf of the Government has imposed a ban on travel.
- Makes a false or fraudulent reimbursement application or supports a reimbursement application by false or fraudulent document, device or statement.
- Cannot provide a doctor's report for accident or illness.
- Cannot evidence that one or more legs of the booked journey did not run necessitating the cancellation of the remaining part(s) or leg(s) of the booked journey.
- Can recover any part of the reimbursement from any third party.
- Exchanges the ticket with us (subject to paragraph B).
- In the administrator’s reasonable opinion, a member of the travelling party did not allow sufficient time to travel to the departure point to board any part or leg of the booked journey.
- A member of the travelling party was aware of the circumstances that prevented them from travelling to the departure point to board the booked journey at the time of booking.
- In the administrator’s reasonable opinion, the circumstances should not have prevented a member of the travelling party from travelling as planned on the booked journey.
You will not receive a reimbursement for:
- Consequential loss for travelling, accommodation or associated expenses (including but not limited to credit card charges, booking fees, any add-ons, or any other associated expenses).
- Any costs incurred by members of the travelling party in submitting or providing evidence to support their reimbursement application.
- Any consequence of war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolutions, insurrection, military or usurped power, riot, civil commotion, strikes (unless official and verifiable strike action by the transport operating company has caused one or more legs of the booked journey not to run and therefore caused any other part or leg of the booked journey to be cancelled), lockout, terrorism, malicious intent or vandalism, confiscation or nationalisation of or requisition or destruction of or damage to property by or under the order of any government or public or local authority.
Any loss caused directly or indirectly by:
- ionising radiations or contamination by radioactivity from nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel;
- the radioactive toxic explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof
- Any loss caused directly or indirectly by damage or destruction directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
Members of the travelling party must:
- Make all necessary arrangements to arrive at the departure point at a reasonable time prior to any part or leg of the booked journey.
- Not be aware of any material fact, matter or circumstance at the time Cancellation Protection is purchased, which may give rise to a reimbursement request.
- Take all reasonable precautions to prevent or minimise the cost of any reimbursement payment.
Unless otherwise agreed:
- The language of this Cancellation Protection and all communications relating to it will be in English.
- All aspects of the contract, including negotiation and performance, shall be governed and is construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Any dispute or matter relating to this document shall be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
In circumstances where your payment for Cancellation Protection is unable to be processed by us, we will not be liable to any member of the travelling party for the cost of any travelling party member’s ticket(s), or for any other associated costs. Cancellation Protection is not refundable.
A member of the travelling party must visit www.ticketplangroup.com/raileurope and either complete an online reimbursement application form or download the reimbursement application form and return it to TicketPlan Cancellation Protection, c/o TicketPlan, Leigh House, Broadway West, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, SS9 2DD. Alternatively, write to the administrator at TicketPlan Cancellation Protection, C/O TicketPlan, Leigh House, Broadway West, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, SS9 2DD in order to request a reimbursement application Form as soon as reasonably possible and no later than 14 days as an absolute maximum after becoming aware of circumstances that may lead you to request a reimbursement payment.
Members of the travelling party may be asked to provide the following at their own expense:
- Original unused tickets where applicable;
- Confirmation of your payment for Cancellation Protection (your booking confirmation);
- Confirmation of re-booking (where applicable) — A print out from raileurope.com, detailing the re-booked journey details onto which Cancellation Protection was transferred. To be submitted along with your original booking confirmation;
- Doctor's note if the reimbursement request is for accident, injury or illness;
- Death certificate if the reimbursement request is resulting from a death;
- Evidence of the Emergency Services attending your residence in the event of burglary or fire;
- Original witness summons instructing you or a member of the travelling party to appear in court;
- Original invitation instructing you or a member of the travelling party to attend jury service;
- Original advice of cancellation of leave/advice to travel at short notice in relation to military service;
- Confirmation from the transport operating company of the non-running of one or more legs of the booked journey necessitating the cancellation of the entire booked journey prior to initial departure;
- Any other reasonable documentary evidence that the administrator requests.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE APPROPRIATE DOCUMENTARY VERIFICATION MAY MEAN THAT YOUR APPLICATION IS INADMISSIBLE
We may share personal data and correspondence from members of the travelling party relating to Cancellation Protection with the administrator and/or their third party sub-contractors for the purposes of administering Cancellation Protection.
We may also receive personal data including, but not limited to, any correspondence relating to travelling party members regarding Cancellation Protection from the administrator and/or their third party sub-contractors.
In the event of a reimbursement request under Cancellation Protection, the administrator will process travelling party member’s personal data, including any sensitive personal data that may be required. Such personal data (including sensitive personal data) may be transferred to third parties including those outside of the EEA for purposes of the administration of Cancellation Protection.
By obtaining the Cancellation Protection you confirm that you and the travelling party consent to such use of personal data (including sensitive personal data). The processing of such personal data (including sensitive personal data) shall be in accordance with the administrator’s terms and conditions that are available at point of purchase, upon receipt or online completion of a reimbursement application form and on request by a member of the travelling party.
These terms and conditions may be amended from time to time