Rail Europe is currently looking for a UK-based UI-UX Designer to apply vision and precision to strategic insight, create effective solutions that exceed expectations for our customers. You will play an essential role in the strategy, conception and design of innovative UX solutions to the core product and as new features are introduced.
This is a full-time role, working from 9.30-17:30 GMT. However, there’s flexibility in working hours, flexibility in working from our office in London or remotely, a generous holiday allowance, and a salary that reflects your experience.
For this role, you will often be requested to attend meetings at our headquarters in Paris and Nantes where necessary, all at the company's expense.
- Create sketches, prototypes, demos, wireframes and user interface solutions for various product features
- Ensure consistency in User-centric design, user search, all devices for the best user journey and customer experience across all medium
- Submit improvements and new elements into design system without duplicating design efforts
- Collaborate with analysts and product managers, to define service design and ergonomic choices
- Create Storyboards
- Keep up with design trends, interfaces, UX, ergonomics
- Plan, research and test user interaction solutions for desktop and mobile applications
- Collaborate and support analysis of functional requirements and specifications of front-end interactive components and interaction animation
- Provide support and direction on design implementation and visual execution
- Analyse quantitative reports (conversion rates, A/B tests and data significance) as well as qualitative usability research and feedback.
- Collaborate to understand, consider and offer thoughtful solutions to challenges
- Make use of personas, data and insights to address customers’ best experience
- Evaluate the usability of web and mobile interactions
- Design of singular, innovative interfaces
- Control stakes and constraints of technical integration.
- You might be required to travel to Paris or Nantes for meetings and planning.
Essential Skills & Experience
- A portfolio with at least 5 years of experience in a commercial UX/creative environment
- Experience in using UX/UI design best practices to design solutions and a good understanding of mobile-first and responsive design
- Fluency in English and confidence communicating complex product challenges and UX flows
- French language is a huge plus
- Understanding complex UX challenges and suggest improvements using sketches, wireframes and/or prototypes to demo your ideas
- Proven experience in working within design systems (Atomic, Lightening, Carbon etc) will be considered as a bonus
- Be able to travel to Paris or Nantes
Who are we looking for?
- Have innovation and creativity even for the simplest creative solutions to complex product challenges
- A high level of attention to detail and a passion for quality, and ensure that consistently high standards are achieved and maintained
- Learn quickly and independently, and willing to help when needed
- Apply common sense and use your own initiative
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, a proactive approach and a can do attitude
- Figma / Sketch, Adobe, Axure, Jira & Trello
- Notions of animation and interaction (Principle ...)
- Agile method
- Excellent communication, collaborative spirit and teamwork
- Permanent monitoring of new uses, methodology
- Trello, Wikis, Slack, Basecamp and other common product management tools.
Rail Europe is an online booking service for train travel throughout the UK and Europe. Our mission is to make booking trains anywhere in Europe as easy and affordable as possible, from epic international adventures to everyday local commutes. We’ve been selling tickets since 2012 (read our full story here) and having reached market leader status, we recently became part of the Voyages-sncf group. We remain operationally independent but this partnership has given us the resources to get to the next stage of our journey.
We're a close-knit, passionate and cosmopolitan team and care deeply about building an inclusive, open and supportive work environment. We have a flexible location-agnostic approach to hiring, which means we hire the best person for the job, regardless of geography. Our team is spread across eight countries and we’re growing fast!
Our success is built on trust, empathy and shared knowledge, with both customers and colleagues at the centre of what we do. We’re proud to have a 4.6 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot after almost 50,000 user reviews!
- Freedom: base yourself in our bright, modern office in central London or take advantage of our remote-friendly culture by working from home.
- We offer flexible hours: work around your schedule and when you’re most productive.
- Our team enjoys a healthy work-life balance and don’t think caffeine-fuelled all-nighters are a good way to grow a company that’s built to last.
- Team activities: Conferences, annual retreats and monthly Lunch & Learns.
- We strive to learn and improve together in a supportive environment as the wider tech ecosystem evolves.
- Our days are not full of meetings and distractions. Allowing others to achieve flow is a big part of supporting each other.
- Everyone is encouraged to ask questions, think creatively and suggest new working practices. We have a small team so your voice will be heard.
We believe that diversity of background and experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
How to apply
Email [email protected] and tell us about your skills and experience, including links to any relevant work. You can send a CV if you want, but we particularly like reading a well-written email.
Due to American labour laws we unfortunately cannot accept applications from the United States.
There are some specific questions we'd like you to answer:
- What makes you particularly suited for this role?
- Why do you want to work for Rail Europe?
- What are the most challenging/interesting UX tasks you have worked on?
- What are your approximate salary expectations? (please state currency. If you'd prefer to discuss this during the process that's fine too)
We welcome applications from everybody, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.
Early in the recruiting process we’ll ask you to complete a challenge, which is judged anonymously. We anonymise responses in order to mitigate our own unconscious bias, and to ensure we reward those who demonstrate the development skills we require.
Come join us!