2-Hour Historic Bike Tour of BolognaSet off on your adventure to discover Bologna? Bologna by bike is the perfect solution to immerse yourself into the great history of Bologna, the (...)
Book your activity now
#1 distributor of train tickets and rail passesWe’ve been by the side of more happy travelers every year as rail’s popularity continues to grow.
The simplicity of one-stop-shoppingThe most complete European train travel offerings including train tickets, rail passes and activities.
European expertsWe’ve made train travel easy and accessible throughout Europe for over 75 years.
Meet your guide at the bike rental store, near the train station, and take off on an easy 10 km (6 miles) bike ride through historic Bologna.
Beginning with a look to the modern quarter of Manifattura delle Arti, now the focus of the hi-tech centre of the city, you will be guided around the history of the medieval harbour of Bologna with a focus on the importance of the subterranean canals in Bologna. Arrive at the Prendiparte Tower, an elegant and well preserved tower, to lead your imagination into the past.
The discovery of the ghetto will show the importance of the Jewish community in Bologna, and then a gaze to the two owers, the symbol of this city: Garisenda and Asinelli Towers.
Through the classic porticoes you will reach the main square, Piazza Maggiore. This airy, open space is lined with the city's most important buildings: Palazzo d'Accursio, the seat of the city council, the majestic San Petronio Basilica, the elegant Fountain of Neptune and the imposing Palazzo Re Enzo. Discover the Archiginnasio, seat of the University of Bologna, Europe's oldest university.
The bike tour continues to the beautiful romanesque façade of St. Dominic Church, built to contain the remains of the saint and house of the masterpiece Ark of St. Dominic, by Nicola Pisano, Niccolò dell'Arca, and a young Michelangelo.
A mandatory stop is at the Complex of Santo Stefano, seven religious buildings surprisingly interconnected whose origins go back to the dawn of Christianity.
To conclude the bike tour, you will look to one of the mystery of this amazing city: the canal to power the medieval mills for the production of the silk is still visible through a little window in Via Piella; the reason why Bologna is also called "a little Venice".
- Cycle the city streets to absorb the local atmosphere
- Family friendly
- All necessary equipment included
- Led by a local guide
- Separate driver ensures your guides full attention throughout the day
You will see the University of Bologna, the oldest university in the world, right next to the historic Piazza Maggiore. Riding towards Giardini Margherita, you can enjoy the tranquility and flexibility of a two-wheeled tour.
- Professional Art Historian guide
- Radio Guide
- 2 hours bike tour of Bologna with a specialized local guide
- Tour of the top attractions of Bologna in a few hours: the Two Towers, the main square Piazza Maggiore with the fascinating unfinished San Petronio Basilica, the Fountain of Neptune, the Complex of Santo Stefano, and then cycling until the Giardini Margherita.
- Hear interesting stories about Bologna’s rich history and culture from your knowledgeable guide
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Bike and helmet rental included
- Insurance included
What's NOT inside
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Refundable up to 4 business days prior to the travel date minus a 7% administrative fee.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- The infant price is for a bike-seat attachment. There can only be one infant per bike. Please consider infant to adult ration when booking
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers over 13.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately. With slight rain the tour is confirmed and all customers will receive a raincoat for free. If the weather is such as to impede riding a bike the tour will be transformed into a walking tour or rescheduled.
- A maximum of 15 people per booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
Reviews & ratings 2-Hour Historic Bike Tour of Bologna
"This was an easy ride with lots of breaks for historical explanations of beautiful bolongna.. loved It and a great way to start (...) "
"You cover a lot of ground in Bologna because you are on a bike. There are a couple of breaks during the ride where you'll have a chance to explore. The guide knew (...) "
"We did this bike tour at the very start of a short holiday in the centre of Bologna. It's a great way to quickly spot the key attractions and to generally get a feel (...) "
"We rode with Francesco who was an excellent guide with a thorough knowledge of Bologna and Italian history. The bike tour was 2 hours and we were given all kinds of (...) "
"Great tour around Bologna stopping at the sites to hear the history of the city. It lived up to our expectations. Would thoroughly recommend it. Peter and Ann (...) "
"A good relaxing way to see and learn about the town. "
"Our guide tour was really good. She took us through all of bologna's city centre and was very kind and informative. I would definitely recommend this tour to bologna (...) "
"Amazing bike tour! Amazing guide! Amazing city! One of our favorite spots in Italy and so ideally seen by bike! "
"This tour was perfect to have a first view of Bologna after a long flight from the US. It promotes physical activity and generates energy. Linda is absolutely a (...) "
"Apart from the hot weather, the bike ride was pleasant and the guide was well informed. Would recommend it to other tourist. "