Because you always wanted to drive on the Autobahn
As much as we know you’ll love train travel, we recognize that for many the chance to drive the Autobahn in Germany has a lure all its own. That’s why Rail Europe offers the German Rail ’n Drive. It combines the freedom of car rental with the ease of train travel, so you can experience everything Germany has to offer from the hot spots to the hinterlands.
And no matter how fast or slow you prefer your trip to go in Germany, there’s a knowledgeable Rail Europe expert that can help you plan it perfectly. So you can see the big picture from the train, and the small picture from the car. The Black Forest, and the trees. The Erzgebirge mountains, and the molehill. All with the authenticity of experience that can only come when you surround yourself with German locals instead of tourists. And isn’t that the point of travel, after all?
Here's what you get:
- This pass gives you unlimited travel on the national rail network of Germany.
- Choice of 2, 3, or 4 days of train travel and 2 days of Hertz car rental within 1 month, consecutively or not.
- Unlimited mileage Hertz car rental and local tax included.
- Additional car days available.
- Choice of 7 car categories, 4 with manual transmission and 3 with automatic transmission.
- Rail Pass valid to Salzburg (Austria) and Basel Bad (Switzerland).
Rail Europe will coordinate your car rental reservations. However for travelers who wish to make their own reservations, the following applies:
- The rental car needs to be confirmed over the phone with the rental agency at least 3 days prior to pick-up.
- Car rental confirmation is subject to availability.
- No car rental reservations can be made at the ticket counter.
Any changes to Hertz car rentals must be made at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled pick-up date. Requested changes less than 24 hours will not be permitted.
Conditions of Use
- Residents of Europe, Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, or Turkey are not eligible to purchase or use this rail pass.
- Rail passes must be validated within 6 months of purchase date at the train station by a railway official.
- The railway official will write the passport number on your rail pass.
- When a saver pass is purchased all travelers in the party must be present when validating the rail pass.
- Rail passes must be validated prior to boarding the first train or before using a passholder bonus.
- The date of travel must be entered into the corresponding box on the rail pass by the traveler before boarding the first train of the day or when utilizing a passholder bonus.
- Travelers must either carry a passport or U.S. Military I.D. in order to travel with this rail pass.
- Rail passes are 85% refundable up to 1 year after the purchase date if neither the car and rail vouchers have not been validated or used.
- Rail passes are non refundable if lost or stolen except as covered by Rail Protection Plan™.
- Reservations and supplements are not included in the rail pass and are at an additional cost.
- Prices are subject to change.
View Prices and Discounts