Experiencing High-Speed Train Travel from London to Paris
London and Paris are two of the most sought after destinations in Europe. Aside from being cultural icons, they are also jam-packed with fun things to see and do!
Wake up in London and enjoy a lovely English breakfast, then hop on Eurostar to spend the day in Paris, seeing all you want to. At the end of the day, be whisked back to London where you can wind down in a nice English pub! Of course, you have the freedom to do the opposite route also – Eurostar travels just as fast going from Paris to London, or spend more than a day, go for a night or two.
Rail Europe provides you with the small details that can make your vacation dreams come true, the only limits you have are the ones you set for yourself.
Things to See & Do in London and Paris
Here’s a great list of must-see & do activities when you travel from London to Paris, do one or all, the choice is yours!
10. Buckingham Palace – Try your skill at making one of those stuffy looking guards smile! Buckingham Palace is a must-see on any trip to London. How many opportunities do you get in life to visit a Royal residence? Oh, and if you succeed in getting one of the guards to smile in a photo, we’d love to see it!
9. Trocadero – See just how “in shape” you are as you make you way up to Trocadero. In 1937, the old Palais du Trocadero was demolished and then replaced with the Palais de Chaillot, found at the top of the hill. Once you reach the wide esplanade, you will have the most amazing view of the infamous Eiffel Tower. This vantage point is one of the best ways to get you in a photo with the Eiffel Tower without cutting off heads or part of the tower. You can get nearly the entire tower and you (or your travel partners)!
8. Strolling the Thames – A great way to take in more of London’s culture and atmosphere is to take a relaxing stroll down the Thames River. Have your camera ready as you will pass some truly picture perfect sites. Stop and have a bite to eat along the way, maybe even take a few moments to feed the birds (actually, if you’re wanting to feed the birds, you should go sit on the steps of St. Paul’s Cathedral, just like the Bird Woman did in Mary Poppins!).
7. Paris Dinner Cruise – The Seine is just as great a river to stroll down as the Thames, or why not treat yourself to a wonderfully romantic dinner cruise along the Seine River. Watch notable attractions pass by as you and your special someone float on your own piece of paradise. Along with breathtaking scenery, you’ll enjoy a terrific meal presented with a fine assortment of wine and cheese. Live music fills the vessel and you can share a special moment on the dance floor. The evening ends at the base of the Eiffel Tower…it doesn’t get more romantic then that!
6. Tower of London – Take a step back in time with a visit to the Tower of London. Our advice would be to join one of the Yeoman Warders tours (commonly referred to as Beefeaters). The Yeoman will keep you entertained with tales of imprisonment, execution, torture and more. You will not only be entertained but you will learn a tremendous amount of history about the tower and British empire. Other noteworthy things at the Tower of London are of course the Crown Jewels – including some of the world’s most famous diamonds, and the Ravens. According to legend, if the six ravens leave the Tower, the Kingdom and Tower will fall. To date, all six are there and accounted for!
5. Paris Museum Hopping – Spend a day museum hopping! Take some time wandering down the long halls of the Louvre, embracing the magnificent work that fills the museum. Make a point of viewing the Mona Lisa and playfully debate the mood of the subject as well as who is being portrayed in the painting. Is it the artist’s lover? Self-portrait? You be the judge! Other notable museums you can see with the Paris Museum Pass are: Musée d’Orsay , Musée National du Château de Versailles, Musée National Picasso, Pompidou Center and so many more!
4. Big Ben/Clock Tower – Know what time it is? Time to visit the Clock Tower! This tower has been commonly mislabeled as Big Ben. Big Ben is actually the nickname given to the main bell (largest in the tower) found within the tower (also known as the Great Bell). The Clock Tower is the largest four-faced clock in the world that chimes. Nearby the Tower you will see the Houses of Parliament. This is another great location to snap some pictures for your photo book! If you book the Original London Sightseeing Tour, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament will be seen on the tour.
3. Eiffel Tower – Paris seems to be synonymous with love and the Eiffel Tower always seems to emit that certain romantic feeling! There is no better way to experience Paris then to reach the top of the Eiffel Tower with the one you love. Stare out across the city and embrace the vision before you. Take your partner in your arms and practice the fine art of kissing (which the French have perfected as well as they have wine making!). For those not married or engaged…well, there’s no time like the present to pop the question! If you’ve already crossed that bridge, well, simply enjoy the moment. Close your eyes and take a deep breath. Do whatever you need to, to ensure you will never forget the way you feel at that very moment!
2. London Eye – Better than the ferris wheel at your local carnival, the London Eye is a spectacular way to see London! This observation wheel will allow you to see even more of the city of London. Great fun for families, children love the London Eye! Flights (as they’re called) on the London Eye take about 30 minutes. It will be 30 minutes you do not regret during your time in London! A flight on the London Eye is included with the Total London Experience.
1. Travel at the speed of light – Well, pretty close to it anyway! Eurostar whisks travelers between London and Paris in just over 2 hours time. The trip on Eurostar is so much more than just a train ride from one city to the next. To travel on Eurostar is to experience high-speed rail travel at its finest! Picturesque views right outside your window, friendly staff on-board and best of all, you have the chance to meet some great people, those traveling along with you on this state of the art train. It’s always fun to mingle with the locals, you may learn something new, or at least gain some insight on things to see and do that you may not have previously thought of.
You can even toast your journey at Europe’s longest champagne bar, right inside St. Pancras International Station! Book your Eurostar trip today and get ready for an adventure of a lifetime!
For some travelers, London and Paris are ice-breakers to the rest of Europe, for others, they are favorites. London and Paris are both very active cities offering something for everyone. From parks and museums, to iconic monuments and theater, you will find the right activities to ensure you have a fantastic vacation. And we highly recommend visiting both cities on your trip, especially with them being just two hours apart. Eurostar is an amazing ride through the French and English countrysides and of course, you’ll also be able to say you’ve traveled through the Chunnel!
For a family-fun vacation, consider taking a trip from London to Paris, trust us, you won’t be disappointed! Be sure to share your London and Paris travel stories with us – and any additional items you think should be on a list of must sees!