Skip the Line: Vatican Museums Walking Tour including Sistine Chapel, Raphael's Rooms and St Peter's
- View all photos
Location: Rome, Italy
Duration: 3 hours
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums Walking Tour including Sistine Chapel, Raphael's Rooms and St Peter's
Visit the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s Basilica on this must-do Vatican walking tour, in a group of no more than 20 people! With some 12,000 rooms spanning nearly 4,000 years of history, the Vatican’s magnificent museum complex can be overwhelming, so let an expert guide introduce you to its defining highlights on this 3-hour tour. Visit Raphael’s Rooms, Gallery of the Maps and more, and then step inside the Sistine Chapel to see Michelangelo’s fresco ‘The Creation of Adam.’ Finish with a St Peter’s Basilica tour and hear the secrets of the holiest place in Christendom. Choose from four different start times or upgrade to a small-group tour (12 people maximum). Skip the long lines for St. Peter’s Basilica with special access directly from the Sistine Chapel.
Due to a new Vatican partnership, this tour provides VIP access through a reserved door, allowing you to skip all the lines – even the priority lines.
What You Can Expect
Skip-the-line Vatican tours are so popular, even the priority lines are long! But this tour includes exclusive access through a reserved entranceway, ensuring that you will not wait in any long lines. Head straight inside with your guide and enter the world’s most extensive private collections of art.
Hear the stories and secrets of the intriguing Vatican while following your guide through incredible rooms like the Gallery of Tapestries and the Gallery of Maps, a seemingly never-ending corridor adorned with intricately detailed Italian maps. Pass through the Gallery of Candelabras, seeing ancient sculptures and opulent candelabras from Imperial villas, and wander through Bramante’s Pinecone Courtyard to pose for pictures in front of the bronze Pigna statue.
Amble through Raphael’s Rooms, marveling at the interconnecting galleries that showcase the artistic genius of Raphael, and then enter the awe-inspiring Sistine Chapel – the crowning glory of any visit to the Vatican. Gaze up at Michelangelo’s famous The Creation of Adam ceiling fresco, see The Last Judgement on the chapel’s back wall and absorb the sacred ambiance of the pope’s private chapel.
Your tour finishes with a fully guided visit to St Peter’s Basilica, the home of the Catholic Church, where more artistic masterpieces await. See La Pieta, a stunning Michelangelo sculpture created by the artist when he was just 24, and admire Bernini’s Baldachino – the ornate bronze canopy that sits above St Peter’s high altar. Bid your guide farewell and take a stroll through St Peter’s Square if you wish.
8:10am Small-Group Tour:
Upgrade to the 8:10am tour, and not only will you skip the long lines to enter the Vatican Museums, but you’ll gain access as soon as the doors open -- before the general public step foot inside. Groups never exceed 12 people, ensuring you’ll see the Vatican highlights up-close with personalized attention from your guide.
Book the evening tour and explore the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel after the main closing times – an opportunity available for a strictly limited season. Access is only possible for people pre-booking an evening tour, so book now to secure your spot! The season runs every Friday from May 6 until July 26, and then from September 6 until October 25. Numbers are limited to 20 people. Tour does not include a visit to St Peter's Basilica.
- Entrance fee
- Professional guide
- Skip-the-line entry
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 24 hours, subject to availability.
- Pre-booking this ticket enables you to skip the long lines (which can take up to two hours!) to enter the Vatican Museums. Please note, all visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point. Please expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security.
- Tours departing Wednesday: There is a possibility that St Peter's Basilica and St Peter's Square will be unavailable due to the weekly Papal Audience during which access to St Peter's Basilica is closed. As an alternative you will be offered an extended itinerary within the Vatican Museums, which still includes the Sistine Chapel and Raphael's Rooms. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you would prefer that St Peter's Basilica and Square are included, please DO NOT select Wednesday as your travel date.
- We are unable to accommodate other entrance times. Entrance is strictly limited so you must arrive early. Anyone who arrives late cannot be accommodated
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended
- Duration of the walking tour is 3-hours
- On rare occasions, St Peter’s Basilica closes without notice. If this happens, you'll spend a full 3 hours touring the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. We will list any affected dates as they become available. The tour guides aim to notify guests if St Peter’s Basilica is unexpectedly closed upon commencement of the tour. It is beyond our control, so no refunds or discounts will be issued.
- Do you cater to wheelchair users? Do you or the Vatican provide wheelchairs? This tour is NOT wheelchair accessible. For your information, Vatican Museums provide wheelchairs free of charge in the main lobby. You can easily pick one up after entrance, before starting your own independent visit. If you are looking for a guided tour with wheelchair access, we recommend booking our private tours so a guide can lead you through the alternate routes.
- When our tour is over will we be able to visit St. Peter's Basilica or the grottos or dome? Absolutely. Our tours end at the front of St Peter's Basilica, which is a very convenient location to leave for lunch, visit the Vatican bookstore, visit the Vatican post office, enter St Peter's Basilica, continue to the grottos below St Peter's, or climb to the dome. Your guide will happily point you in the right direction!
- Backpacks, tripods and big umbrellas must be left inside a cloakroom on entering the Vatican Museums. To reduce any disruption for your group, we recommend that these items are not taken on this tour
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Schedule and Pricing
Latium and Rome
Concludes at St. Peter's Basilica.
Refunds, when possible, must be requested at least 4 business days prior to the travel date. Refunds are subject to a 7% administration fee. The Rail Protection Plan™ does not apply.
Note: Tours may be delayed or run late. Please plan accordingly.
|Skip-the-line Vatican tour in a group of no more than 20 people. Arrive at 8:45am to start at 9am||From
|Skip-the-line Vatican tour in a group of no more than 20 people. Arrive at 9:45am to start at 10am||From
|Skip-the-line Vatican tour in a group of no more than 20 people. Arrive at 2:15pm to start at 2:30pm||From
|Small-group upgrade: Skip-the-line Vatican tour in a group of no more than 12 people. Arrive at 7:50am to start at 8:10am||From
|Skip-the-line Vatican evening tour in a group of no more than 20 people. Arrive at 7:15pm to start at 7:30pm. Does not include St Peter's Basilica. Available for a limited summer season!||From
Sara was amazing!
Second time we've taken this tour. Why? It's stunning, simply stunning. The guides are first class in their knowledge and presentation.
Definitely didn't have to wait in line. That alone is worth it! Our guide was knowledgable. She explained everything in great detail but her charming personality made it fun too. The sights are magnificent! The only way to see something this large. Without a tour guide I wouldn't have known what I was looking at. Definitely recommend this tour
Excellent tour. The Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica were breathtaking.
The tour was great and our guide was even better! She had a background in art, history and was extremely knowledgeable of the Vatican and all it had to offer. She had an I-Pad with her to show us things close up. And the size of the tour was worth the extra money as there was only 12 of us. A nice small group which made asking questions very easy. We would recommend this tour to all.
Awesome tour. Our guide, Francesca was very friendly and knowledgeable. Definitely worth it!
It was great and our tour guide has got knowledge of everything in Vatican City. Amazing
Our tour was great and the guide was exceptional and extremely knowledgeable. Would not have been a worthwhile visit to the Vatican without her.
Our tour guide was awesome! You could tell she had a real passion for history. Tour was very well organized
Great tour, wouldn't dream of exploring the Vatican Museum and St Peter's on our own. Just being able to skip the lines so worth the . Our guide Nicholas was so knowledgeable, brought art and history to life. If going to the Vatican, definitely take this tour.
Warren S T
My wife and I did the tour on Sept 18th. Our guide was Francessco. His English is good and easy to understand. We started in the Vatican Museums. Our guide was very informative and knowledgable. Rapheal's rooms were great, and the ability to get up close was awesome. The Sistine Chapel was the highlight as expected and our guide gave us good tips to avoid being moved on by the security guys. St Peters Basilica and square were also great attractions, but seemed to suffer in comparison to the Sistine Chapel. Skip the Line tickets are a must for this tour as the lines were already very long at opening time.
Tour and guide were great
It was a very well planned trip with an excellent guide, Francesca. She was well researched, well aware of how to manage people and happy to answer any questions. Her way of telling stories was also good and kept everybody interested.
Great tour, the guide was knowledgeable, engaging, informative, and very patient. One of the best tours of our trip.
Maria was fantastic... some unexpected exhibits were closed but she kept her cool and gave us as much details as possible. Without her intense knowledge, I don't think we would have had such a great experience. Fantastic!!
Fantastic tour, worth paying extra to skip the line. I would recommend going early to avoid the heat as much as possible. Great, informative tour guide. Thoroughly enjoyed the tour and would recommend to anyone.
Sara was a wonderful and entertaining guide. The tour was very educational and just the right duration for me.
Great end to our land trip before our cruise. Daniel the guide was amazing and very sensitive to my husband's health issues. I would tell anyone going to Rome to absolutely use the skip the line tours because they are worth every penny.
My guide was Dr Georgia Bernagozzi, and she was excellent, being an art historian.
Excellent guide - most interesting and informative, very well organised
We had a wonderful guide, Tatiana, who was easy-going and answered all questions. She had a vast knowledge of the museums and the Vatican, and was extremely helpful. Excellent tour. And no wait!!
Claudia was really enthusiastic and knowledgeable - we wouldn't have got half as much out of our visit to these amazing places if it wasn't for the tour. It was on time, well organised and professional.
Gerda Cerff C
Everything went smooth, from the booking to the tour .. great tour guide as well.